A Single Family Office (SFO) is a private company that manages investments and trusts for a single family. The company’s financial capital is the family’s own wealth, often accumulated over many family generations. Traditional family offices provide personal services such as managing household staff and making travel arrangements. Other services typically handled by the traditional family office include property management, day to day accounting and payroll activities, and management of legal affairs. Family offices often provide family management services, which includes family governance, financial and investment education, philanthropy coordination and succession planning.
A family office is essentially an office for a family who wishes to ensure the family wealth is invested with a view to sustain the wealth and its growth throughout the generations.
- Family bank and intra-family loans
- Philanthropy and charitable activities
- Family mission, constitution and governance
- Family Legacy and values
- Next generation education and engagement
- Organization of family retreats
- Personal and property security systems and procedures
- Concierge services (travel planning, private aviation, personal shopping)
Benefits of the Family Office approach:
- Advice is provided with a complete understanding of all the family assets and liabilities.
- Services are provided to the entire high net-worth family.
- It ensures all advisors work together in a coordinated manner toward an integrated wealth strategy.
- It provides benefits of combined purchasing power, allowing for reduced costs.
- Investments are managed in the context of the overall family balance sheet.
- It provides integrated plan for family’s complete financial affairs, including investments, wealth transfer strategies, proactive tax planning and optimal ownership structures.